June 3, 2009

Zimmer? I barely even know her!


June 3rd, 1930 is the birthday of Marion Zimmer Bradley. I don’t know much about Marion Zimmer Bradley except that she wrote a book called Mists Of Avalon, which seemed to be required reading in every feminist household in Santa Cruz during the late 80’s. If I ever went to a girl’s house and went to the bathroom and saw this book sitting next to their candle-infested tub, my first thought was always that I would soon be defending being a man. Her middle name was Zimmer, which is pretty cool, except for the fact that it is close to Zimmerman. Zimmerman was the original last name of Bob Dylan, who changed his last name to Dylan, which is my name, but the last name Dylan should be spelled Dillon, which has resulted in mass confusion in my life. When Bob Dylan decided to thumb his nose at the world of naming conventions, it was a metaphorical turn of the mousetrap crank, which sent shockwaves through the world. This resulted, for me at least, in the fact the no one can ever spell my name correctly. One time I went to Jack in the Box, and the trans-gendered Latino boy behind the counter asked me my name. When I said “Dylan” she cocked her head to the side and said “Jelly?”, and proceeded to write my name down as “Jelly.” True story! See what Bob Dylan did to me?! What was I talking about? Oh yeah, good thing there was no man attached to her name. She also wrote a book called The Colour Of Space, which isn’t just rad for its use of more vowels, but also because it sounds like the title of my favorite H.P. Lovecraft novel The Colour Out Of Space.

If you find this posting totally devoid of any useful information, I’d like to submit the following video, which is chock-a-block full of information that we all need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment