June 30, 2009

"old enough to fight, old enough to vote"


June 30, 1971 - Ohio ratified the 26th Amendment, officially dropping the voting age to 18. The vietnam war and it's heavily unsupported draft brings about this change amidst cries of "old enough to fight, old enough to vote!". The idea is that if you're old enough to get sent overseas to die, you should be old enough to weigh in on the decisions leading there. It's still sort of a raw deal though, if you think about it. How many of us actually get a chance to vote as soon as we turn 18? Only those born around late October or early November in any year that falls 2 years before (or after) a leap year. Those few might get a chance to punch ballots before they get sent off to die, or worse (kill?), but I know that if I was in that position I wouldn't feel any sense of relief knowing that I was allowed to cast a vote before I got put overseas to fight in a war that I didn't believe in (which is no war, to be fair). I personally believe that the draft should never be enacted unless it's required to defend the country, but never ever to attack another country, or to get involved with a war that isn't our business.

No comments:

Post a Comment