May 29, 2009

Hoover? I barely knew her!


















The Hoover Dam was completed on May 29, 1935, at least that's what wikipedia says when you google "May 29" - I didn't make it up!  I don't even know how to make things up!  Anyways, there were apparently 112 deaths, 3 births, and a great depression while making the dam, originally called the Boulder Dam, or "over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder dam" by all the construction workers (100% plausible).  On one side of the dam is Arizona, and on the other is Nevada.  The architects and engineers thought it would be cool to put some freaky gothic statues on the facade of the dam for effect.  I went there once when I was a child and mom almost fell over the side of the concrete barrier while taking a picture.  There's much more to say about this dam, but I think you aren't really reading this to learn about dams, and you just want some of THIS:

2 comments:

  1. I just pulled that Robocop on the Unicorn photo! We're so N'Sync

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 31, 2009

    those sharks love to party!

    ReplyDelete